Friday, July 12, 2013

Crafts crafts galore!

My children love homemade craft projects, well the ones that work. In an attempt to engage my three year old in constructive projects, rather than destructive; I started looking for some preschool projects. Here are a few we did this week. When picking up supplies, consider a cheap plastic mixing bowl, spatula, measuring cups. I love my dollar store bowl that is slippery inside~especially for the glue projects, then I don't have to "contaminate" my cooking bowls.

1. Homemade bouncy balls. Epic fail, big disappointment. I won't even post recipe because it was not only a waste of time, but waste of "products".

2. Colored noodles: 1TBs rubbing alcohol, food coloring

Directions:
Drop about a cup of noodles into plastic bag, a few drops of food coloring and rubbing alcohol. Shake-good job for kids. Lay out onto paper towel to dry. Enjoy stringing or other crafting!

3. Paper mache bowls:  1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup flour is the glue.

Directions:
Coat your bowl in cooking spray. Cover in plastic wrap. Start "gluing" you tissue paper. Shoot for about 5 layers for a more sturdy bowl. Let sit over night. Peel the plastic wrap back. Trim edges if desired/needed.

4. Bubble paint: 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup water, food coloring.

Directions:
Mix well, place into a plastic bag, snip the corner as small as possible (otherwise it goes to quickly). Squeeze over paper. Let dry.

5. Goop/gak: 3/4 cup cold water, 1 4oz bottle glue, liquid food coloring, 1/2 cup hot water,
1 teaspoon borax (you can find this in a box in the laundry aisle)

Directions:
step 1: in bowl 1 – mix together the cold water, glue, and food coloring. set aside.
step 2: in bowl 2 – mix together the hot water and borax, until the borax is completely dissolved.
step 3: slowly add glue mixture to borax mixture. mix well. pour off excess water.

6. Playdough:1 cup flour, 1/4 cup salt, 2 TBsp cream of tartar, 1 cup water, 2 tbsp oil
gel food coloring (makes for a more vibrant color, but you can use liquid if necessary)

Directions:
Place ingredients in pan. Mix your food color with the water if you are using the gel. Cook on med heat on stove. Mix well. DO NOT walk away. When a ball starts to form take off heat. Place on floured table and kneed with hands~adults only product will be hot!


Numbers 2 thru 4 were found on this website http://spoonful.com/crafts. I can't remember where I found 1, 5, and 6. And because I am IN the moment with my children, I don't have any pictures of the processes (Hey I never said I was perfect, plus I can't stand to show how dirty my kitchen usually is~sorry FlyLady!)

No comments:

Post a Comment